Mr. Walker has over 30 years of courtroom experience in family law and other civil litigation.
While ours is a general practice firm, we handle primarily civil litigation. We litigate, that is prepare and go to trial upon, if necessary, family law cases including divorce or dissolution of marriage; custody; child support; child visitation; guardian and conservatorships; wills, trusts, probate and estates.
Mr. Walker, our senior attorney, began practicing law in 1977. He graduated with Dean's Honors from Washburn University Law School in Topeka, Kansas. While a law student, he served on the Board of Editors of the Washburn Law Journal, and since graduation has served as an editor of state and local bar publications. He is currently a member of the Kansas Association for Justice and Kansas and Missouri Bar Associations. He has served as the president of the litigation section of the Kansas Bar Association; on the Board of Governors of the Kansas Trial Lawyers Association; and as president of the county bar association and chairman and current member of its grievance and ethics committee. He is a past president of the county bar foundation, the mission of which is charitable law-related, community-oriented causes. He is counsel of record in cases published by the Kansas appellate courts.
Mr. Walker is licensed to practice in the state (which includes municipal, district, and circuit) and federal courts of Kansas and Missouri; the federal 8th and 10th Circuit Courts of Appeal; and the United States Supreme Court. A significant portion of his time is spent litigating cases in court.
Other staff members, including paralegals and clerks (non-lawyers who are specially trained in the law and legal procedure), will talk with you, write you, answer questions, and help you understand the legal process, gather information and prepare cases for settlement or trial.
In addition to successfully concluding thousands of family law cases in courts throughout the greater Kansas city area, we have collected well over one million dollars in personal injury settlements for our clients, and have written briefs for, and participated in, numerous appeals in the Kansas state and federal courts, as well as Writs of Certiorari to the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Walker has achieved Martindale-Hubbell's highest peer review rating, "AV-Preeminent," which means judges and lawyers throughout the metro area know he meets very high criteria of general ethical standards, and has the highest ratings in his legal knowledge, analytical capabilities, judgment, communication ability, and legal experience. He is also a fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, the purpose of which is to encourage the study, improve the practice, elevate the standards, and advance the cause of matrimonial law. He is listed in Who's Who in American Law and Who's Who in America.
He is among the top five percent of lawyers thus included in Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers, and has received the Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award for quality of service, overall value, responsiveness, and communication ability, as well as the Martindale-Hubbell 2021 Silver Client Champion Award. He is also a Master in the Johnson County Family Law Inns of Court and a member of the Johnson County Family Law Advisory Committee.
Our goal is to meet our clients' needs and exceed their expectations by being available to help them in times of crisis.
Areas Of Practice
- Family Law
- Child support
- Child custody
- Spousal support
- Name changes
- Premarital agreements
- Personal Injury
- Auto accidents
- Trucking accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Severe burns
- Electrical injury
- Slip and fall
- Dog bites
- Wrongful death
- Trial practice
- Qualified domestic relations orders
- Restraining orders
- Domestic violence
- Nursing home abuse
- Living wills
- Powers of attorney
- Civil practice
- Kansas, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1988
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas, 1977
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1984
- Missouri, 1995
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 2000
- Washburn University School of Law, Topeka, Kansas
- J.D. – 1977
- Honors: Dean’s Honors
- Law Journal: Washburn Law Journal, Member, Board of Editors, 1976 – 1977
- William Jewell College
- B.S.B.A. – 1974
- Editor-in-Chief, The Advocate, 1986
- Chapter Author, Kansas Bar Association’s Practitioner’s Guide to Kansas Family Law, Fourth Edition
Honors and Awards
- Who’s Who in America
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Martindale-Hubbell 2015 Client Distinction Award
- Rated by Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers
- AV-Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kansas Bar Association, ((former President, Litigation Section))
- County Bar Association, ((former President, Secretary and Treasurer))
- The Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas Association for Justice, ((former Member, Board of Governors))
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, (Fellow)
- County Bar Association, Grievance and Ethics Committee, ((former Chairman and current member))
- Delta Mu Delta
- Phi Delta Phi